Thursday, January 23, 2014

Surface Embroidery

Who would have thought that there would come a day that I !!!, the girl that only enjoys COUNTED embroidery in the form of cross stitch, canvas work or Hardanger, would say: I really like this.

Last weekend the Charleston EGA chapter sponsored a class lead by Susan O'Connor, editor at Inspirations Magazine to come and teach us just that. 

I had signed up because the cost was low and I was hoping that this time I would "get it". Boy, did I ever. Over the course of two days I learned how to pad flower petals and do a proper split stitch and especially how to get the stitches to go in the correct directions so that leaves don't look like someone filled them in in crayon.

Anyone out there NOT a member of the EGA, ANG or any other embroidery group? I can only recommend joining up. In the past 13 years since I joined the Embroiderers' Guild I have learned SO much - who knew, that there is something other than cross stitch out there :-)


3 comments:

Charlene ♥ NC said...

Really pretty work!

Gillie said...

Well done you! I love that magazine, what a treat to have such a workshop.

smartug6 said...

I learned how to pad flower petals and do a proper split stitch and especially how to get the stitches to go in the correct directions so that leaves don't look like someone filled them in in crayon. Jason Robinson